For members to understand nutrition is important to their health, you must make it a priority in your message.
One of the ways we recommend gyms do this is by asking nutrition questions of the day.
At Healthy Steps Nutrition HQ, every day there is a question of the day. Once to twice per week, this question is related to nutrition. It’s a chance for nutrition to be discussed during classes.
How it works:
Everyone goes around the room and answers the question of the day.
After everyone answers the question, the coach will discuss 2-3 tips related to the question. These tips are written in the coach’s notes to ensure consistency between classes.
Here are 20 examples of Nutrition Questions of the Day:
- What is your favorite breakfast protein?
- What is your favorite healthy snack?
- What is your favorite crockpot dish?
- What did you have for dinner last night?
- What did you have before coming to class?
- How much water did you drink today?
- What do you put in your coffee?
- What is your favorite healthy restaurant? (Draw attention to restaurant partners)
- What is your favorite way to cook veggies?
- How many veggies did you eat yesterday?
- What is your favorite healthy fat? ‘
- What protein option has the most fat: sirloin, chicken wing or hamburger
- What is your favorite healthy treat?
- When is the last time you tracked your food?
- What is your biggest struggle when it comes to nutrition?
- Rate your nutrition A to F
- What is your go-to lunch option?
- What is your favorite protein option?
- Do you eat out of the bag or portion to the plate?
- What is one healthy habit you can commit to doing over the next 90 days to improve your nutrition?
Asking nutrition questions of the day allows nutrition to be a part of the daily conversion, which is key if you are looking to build nutrition into a bigger part of your business.
If you don’t ask nutrition questions of the day, try incorporating it into your programming like a warm-up and see how it goes!
Nicole Aucoin, MS, RD, LD/N
Founder, Healthy Steps Nutrition
Home of CrossFit HSN and HSN Mentoring