There have been lots of emails and questions lately from gym owners asking, “Coronavirus is here, what should I do?”
No matter what your situation is, you are in the relationship business, and your members need to know that their concerns are heard, and you are there for them!
I’m going to break this down into two categories and provide different support strategies for each:
1. My Gym Is Not Closing– I’m Looking For Prevention Measures
- Send out an email and post in your Facebook group what YOU are doing to keep the gym sanitary and clean
- Limit class sizes
- Consider open gym hours so people can workout on their own
- Ensure everyone is wiping equipment down after classes (this should be done anyways)
- Get rid of chalk
- No more signing in on community computer
- Consider park workouts in an open space with no equipment
- Coaches need to be seen cleaning! Don’t stop cleaning!!
- Provide home workouts for people to stay active — we are making at home workout track in SugarWod for people to continue to log their workout (Check out the toolkit for what we are doing starting on Monday at HSN HQ)
- Provide additional virtual support — provide accountability to members, individually
- Now is the time to focus on what they can control, their nutrition
- Host a Facebook live like Ashley and I are doing on Monday– you are welcome to share this with your clients. Register >>HERE.
2. My Gym Is Closing For Two Weeks
- Reach out to clients individually and set up a virtual meeting
- This is a great way to provide individualized support and increased value to clients!
- This meeting has three objectives:
- What is their biggest struggle right now with nutrition/health?
- What does success look like to them?
- What are 1-2 action steps they can implement over the next two weeks to move them closer to success?
- Provide home workouts and give clients a prize if they complete all workouts (shirt)
- Use Facebook live to share tips regularly (every morning) — this is a great way to increase exposure outside your gym
* MEMBERS ONLY* Additional Support:
- Use the video feature within the HSN App
- Use the habit tracking within the HSN App to set a habit for two weeks, check in with them weekly
- This is a great option to allow coaches to earn money since they will not be coaching classes
- Use the group feature to have people post pictures of food
- Consider adding ALL your members to the HSN App to provide a taste of what individual nutrition coaching would look like, value well-beyond their membership
- Check out the Coronavirus Toolkit for templates, posts, videos and more!
- We will be hosting live meetings next week on Monday at 10 AM EST, Tuesday at 10 AM EST, and Wednesday at 1 PM EST for additional live support with the mentor team — access the link in the toolkit
For Nutrition Clients:
- Increased virtual check-ins while the gym is closed
- Move in-person check-ins to a later date when the gym is open again
- Make sure you are wiping down your desk, computer, keyboard, InBody with alcohol wipes after each appointment
While this is scary, this is an opportunity for you to highlight the support you are providing well beyond classes.
PS- Did you miss our live yesterday? Ashley and I answer all the questions about Coronavirus and additional strategies for you to implement. Here’s the link to our HSN Mentoring Facebook Page to watch the recording.
Nicole Aucoin, MS, RD, LD/N
Founder, Healthy Steps Nutrition
Home of CrossFit HSN and HSN Mentoring